Thursday, December 20, 2012

Joy, Paranoia and Secrets

I created this blog so I can have a little diary of the process and progress of the sweet pea, blueberry or whatever they call it.  I felt very fortunate that we were able to start in July having lots of sex trying.  I waited to I went to my annual toward the end of June, finished my last pill which I had been on since I was almost 19!! I was convinced that 18 years of being on the pill was bound to have some consequences.

I didn't share my experiences but there was a ton of things that happened to me after being off the pill - my hormones were all over the place, I would gain 5lbs one week when ovulating and then lose it the immediate week after.  I felt fat, not myself, I was super emotional (crying erratically in my closet) and wishing to be normal again.  This went on for 3 months while my body was trying to go back to "normal."  My periods were somewhat normal but sometimes came in 3 weeks versus 4.   

We found out the first week in December when I was a couple days late.  It was so exciting, but the freaking out of how I was going to conceal this little secret was very troublesome.  We immediately decided to not tell anyone except a couple people that we trusted for advice, we decided to tell our parents at Christmas.  The hard part was getting around the "why aren't you drinking?" question.  I started out telling people I was doing a "detox" which works around some circles but I let little details slip which lead my best friends to figuring that out ASAP.

I didn't realize they back calculate the date to when your last period was which gave me a due date of Aug 8th....of course, my brain is like, soooo can I do a sprint try first week in September?  JK, not really

Paranoia swept in with trying to figure out maternity leave, changing ob/gyn to have one closer, what to eat, not eat, what vitamins, it's completely overwhelming.  To top it off, I had my meeting in Iowa last week which left me sick with a cold.  Apparently, when you are pregnant your immune system is low and you get sick faster.

Just for other people and references on the safe list:  Robitussin DM, Tylenol, Sudafed and Saline Nasal Spray (not all at once of course).
 
I can't wait to Christmas and get this off my chest because I can't wait to share it with my mom!




2 comments:

  1. So excited for you Heather! Send my love to Mike as well!!! Can't wait to hear more. xoxo Kate W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Heather! I had no idea until I read your swimming post that you were Prego! Congrats to you and Mike!! Sam Packard

    ReplyDelete